Adrienne & Nana & I traveled down to Lawrence County with some friends that used to live in the area to see the Mennonite community. Most of these photos were taken from the hip, literally, as the "Plain Folk" do not approve of picture taking. We were blessed to have beautiful weather & everyone seemed to be out enjoying it, especially the children. At times they were literally shielded from view by their Mothers so we could not see them. Once we started talking to the women however, they opened up & our children would peek at each other from around whatever they happened to be hiding behind...a door, a window, me, the van. I tried speaking to the little ones but they remained silent. They did give us big smiles & waves however & I wished I could have taken all their photos they were so sweet looking.

Two little ones.

A community building.

Adrienne & Trapper in a store with Amish handcrafts.

Building a new house & putting up the chimney.

Two women & one small girl in a covered buggy.

The open air buggy.

Going for a wagon ride.

A family car.

Hitching up the horse.

Taking a cow for a ride in the cattle buggy.

This is a deluxe buggy with an extra row of seats in the back. This family has money.

The houses are white & the workshops are red. We "English" only got to go into the red buildings.

The kids were fascinated with the peacocks & the albino bunnies they had at this home.

What a beautiful view of the pasture & the hills with the autumn colors.

Laundry day.

This man sold us some soap & candles. We found out that his oldest son is getting married this month. He said, "My son decided it was time for him to get married. He just had his birthday & turned 21 on October 30th." I asked if the girl was from around here & found out she was from the other side of the highway which is considered far away by buggy.
1 comment:
wow neat view into a totally different culture! I love the picture of the wash - Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment