Right when we got home Adrienne asked me to carry her in the house & up to bed. Normally I'd say, "tough it out", but she had a such a tired look on her face. I should have known better. I was halfway up the garage steps when she suddenly threw up on me & the steps. I did the only thing I could think of & ran her outside & let her finish throwing up all over the driveway. She looked at me when she was done & said "maybe that's why my stomach was hurting". Kids are so smart!
I cleaned her up & put her to bed for her nap with a lovely barf bowl next to her for comfort. After naps both kids woke up feeling good. I was relieved. I figured she must have eaten something bad but at least now it was out of her system. Right? My husband came home & made plans to take us out to dinner for my birthday. We repeatedly asked Adrienne how she was feeling & got the green light.
As we were putting on socks & shoes Adrienne came to my room & looked at me funny. You know that look...the one that says I'm about to throw up all over your carpet & you'll never get the smell out. I grabbed her like a football under my arm & started to run with her to the bathroom. We almost made it. Almost. Two feet from the bathroom door suddenly my feet started slipping & sliding on the hardwood & I went thudding down on one knee in a painful attempt to not drop my "football".
We finally made it & after we finished up in the bathroom I looked out at the tracks I had made in the vomit on the floor & all I could do was laugh. There's not much else I could do at that moment, plus I'm sure we were a funny sight. Needless to say we did not go out to eat. I had a toaster strudel & a cup of decaf coffee for dinner & let my wonderful husband clean up the floor for me!
Fast - forward 24 hours as we made a second attempt to go out. As you can see by the photo we did finally make it & had a yummy dinner at O'Charlie's. I would have been happy with Taco Bell!
Thank you to everyone who made my day so special with phone calls & emails & singing "happy birthday". I may not have gotten a cake but I have wonderful family & friends who made my day just as sweet (with a lot less calories!).
2 comments:
You have many wonderful friends and one completely lame friend who would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that your birthday was October 12.
I do know that look, though. It's the same one that I says "I ate all the contents of the garbage can and am thinking that was not such a good idea right about now."
Happy birthday anyway!! I do totally have a present for you, and I might not even make you wait 'til July for it.
Happy Birthday! :) I'm getting a bookmark out to you tomorrow!
Post a Comment